England Premier League (EPL)Soccer News


Alexandre Lacazette ended a three-month goal drought, as Arsenal surged back into the Premier League’s top four. The striker netted a second-half penalty to round off a comfortable 2-0 victory over Leicester City, making it five straight wins for the ‘Gunners’.

The hosts were on the attack from the first whistle and there was a sense of inevitability about their 11th-minute opener, as they exposed Leicester’s set pieces weakness. The ‘Foxes’ have conceded more goals from corners than any other Premier League team, and Arsenal duly scored with their first flag kick of the match, as Thomas Partey powerfully headed home from Gabriel Martinelli’s delivery.

Partey nearly got another moments later when clipping against the bar from the edge of the area, and that near-miss seemed to wake the visitors up. They grew into the game and started to dominate possession, with Harvey Barnes having their best two chances, only to be thwarted by a couple of excellent Aaron Ramsdale saves.

The second half started in a similar vein to the first, as Arsenal pressed forward and saw Bukayo Saka’s acrobatic effort punched clear by Kasper Schmeichel. They controversially doubled their lead through Lacazette from the penalty spot, after referee Anthony Taylor and VAR determined that Partey’s header had brushed the fingertips of Çağlar Söyüncü before being cleared off the line by Luke Thomas.

The ‘Gunners’ were cruising from then on. Leicester, without top scorer Jamie Vardy, provided little attacking threat, spare for a long range Kelechi Iheanacho strike that was comfortably saved. At the other end, the final chance fell to Emile Smith-Rowe who had a shot blocked at the near post. The result lifts Arsenal one point above Manchester United, whereas Brendan Rodgers’ side languish in 12th place, a whole 13 points off the race for a European place.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button